If you haven’t gathered from my crazy amount of references, I am a HUGE Gilmore Girls fan. So I pretty much freaked out with the rest of the world when ohmygosh they’re coming back!
SPOILER ALERT. I’m going to talk about the Netflix revival, so don’t read any further if you haven’t seen it!
I didn’t watch Gilmore Girls when the show aired. It came on in 2004 and I’m not totally sure why I never jumped on the bandwagon. Especially because this show was totally up my alley.
My college roommate lent me the DVDs (!!!) and the year The Hubster lived in Colorado and I lived in New York was the year that I binged.
And by binged I mean that I laid in bed for an entire weekend and watched the first 2 seasons.
Of course that was before the days of Netflix and streaming, so every 3 episodes I would have to get out of bed and changed DVDs.
Now I might get flamed for this next statement.
I didn’t hate Season 7.
I know purist will say that the last season was awful because it wasn’t the original people that were writing/directing.
Maybe it’s because I didn’t know any better, but I liked how the series ended. I think it did feel kind of rushed, but I did like that Rory had wide open possibilities and that Lorelai and Luke had gotten back together.
Since I don’t think I want to review each season, I thought I would just lay out my thoughts in bullet format.
- Overall – I LOVED it. We will talk about the ending later, but my overall impressions were that it was great and made me feel so happy to watch
- I need all of the Lorelai Gilmore bags. Like pronto. Seriously. Whoever picks out her purses needs to be in my life and help me.
- I think this is Lorelai’s wedding dress. Maybe I need this too.
- I was a little disappointed by Rory in this whole revival. It kind of felt like she never really grew up and was still trying to be in her 20s. Whatever happened with the Obama campaign? She really only had a few articles since then? She was so motivated and so ready to be the next Christiane Amanpour that I’m surprised she was so blah about her overall career.
- And what’s with the sleeping with Logan on the side? How did they get back together? How long has it been? Is LOan even the father to her baby?
- The Life and Death Brigade part in Fall was amazing. I loved it. Finn, Colin, and Robert are some of my favorite characters.
- Stars Hollow: The Musical wasn’t so much my taste. It seemed to last a bit too long for me. I don’t know if I needed to see all of those numbers.
- I like how Emily finally came into her own but I do wonder if it was realistic that she would have totally left Hartford for Nantucket.
- Did Luke get a hairpiece? Because it looks unnatural.
- Luke is friends with Kiefer Sutherland?!?!
- Luke and Lorelai’s wedding was perfect. Absolutely perfect.
- Kirk’s jobs were awesome. As was his second independent film.
- So did Michel stay at the Dragonfly and open the new annex with Lorelai?
- In some ways I think these episodes took the same path as the original. Mother-Daughter best friend. Relationship drama. Conflict where mother-daughter don’t talk. Make up. Happily ever after. Wait. Is that how all of my shows work? Ha!
- But for real, it felt kind of like the original but in a hurried fashion.
- I wish they could have had more time for Sookie. She’s the best. What happened with her family – how are Davy and Martha and what is the new baby like? At least we got a glimpse of Jackson.
- I wish April had been less weird and more involved in their lives. Or that Luke was less of an absent parent. Because it kind of felt like that.
- Or that Luke talked more. He seemed so minor in the first few episodes, but totally came into his own in Fall.
- Fall was my favorite. Winter was a close second.
- WHEN CAN WE HAVE MORE?!?!?!
Like I said…I loved it. 🙂